MR2's in CSP

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: MR2's in CSP
From: "Ron Chapman" <CHAPMANR@calbt.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 10:21:56 -0700
I drove an MR2 Spyder at the Atwater Pro.  Ok, so it was actually a BS car
which I only drove because the CRX broke during the first run group (Thanks,
Barb!).  Since I hadn't autoxed the car before, I'm actually relatively happy
with the result.

But, getting to the front in CSP will be tough for the MR2 Spyder, and, IMHO,
out of the question for the Mk II.  The problem is weight.  I know the Spyder
is only a 2200 lb car, but the earlier CRXs and Miata's had 200-4400 lbs of
weight out of the box.  And, there is no "down market" model prospects for the
Spyder, either, so it would be hard to put one on a legal diet.  The RX-3s are
actually very narrow  and relatively light cars, and I hear you can get 180+
horsepower out of them.

Bob Endicott tried to make a 2nd Gen CRX work last year, and gave up.  Why? He
couldn't make this relatively lightweight car competitive with the   1600 lb
1st Gen CRX's, 1,700 lb Miatas, and RX-3s.

Ron Chapman
San Diego Region
84 CRX (now mended and doing well!)
1999 Miata Sport