RE: re tire trailer

To: "'autox'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: re tire trailer
From: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 10:43:57 -0500
Moi???  Overkill???

Are you trying to say that 1" square tubing uprights placed every 12" on the
sides and welded on all four sides at every point of contact with other
pieces of steel tubing may have been too much?  Was it the .0625" thick
gussets in each corner of the upright tubes that could be called overkill?
Or is it the 5/8" head rivets spaced every 2" on every panel along every
support frame tube is too much?  How about using .062" aluminum sheet metal
walls instead of lighter .030" panels?  Are you contending that fully
welding every single place where that cheap Chinese steel frame overlaps
itself AND leaving in all the original bolts & nuts might be considered
overkill?  Or perhaps that boxing-in the entire length of the 3 sided super
flexy (Chinese factory part that could visibly be twisted by hand pressure)
tongue with a piece of 3" wide .125" thick hot rolled steel to stiffen it up
might be considered "too much"?

Man, I've gotta take some pics of it for all y'all to see.  Like Mike said,
if I had to do it again I'd start from scratch with some wheels, springs and
axle stubs from a boating supply store and build it right.

One thing is for sure, pending corrosion it will definitely out last the car
that's towing it.  ;^)  Eh, it was winter time and we had nothing else to
do.  I'm still waffling on whether or not to paint it white with blue
stripes to match my car.  Hmm, I do have a few extra cans of Krylon sitting
around.  ;^)

Eric Linnhoff in KC
1998 Dodge Neon R/T
#69 STS    #13 TLS