Re: Painting Fiberglass

To: Hottvr@aol.com
Subject: Re: Painting Fiberglass
From: Jim Wilson <jim@jamesdwilson.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 21:44:25 -0400
THere are a couple of possibilities for what is happening here.

You may have silicone or wax or oil or some such
thing embedded into the gelcoat somehow.

or

You may be getting something thru your own air lines that
is blowing out onto the paint as you are applying it or getting
onto the piece as you are sanding it. Take a good look at your
air filters, spray gun, DA, air lines etc. You may be able to narrow
it down to where the problem is by trying to prime the piece out of
a spray can. If it still gets fisheyes then you are most likely getting
something onto the piece thru your own equipment.

This is not uncommon in auto body work.
I used to work manufacturing and selling spray equipment and
numerous times I ran into cases where painters blamed our equipment
for putting fisheyes onto their work and after spending hours trying
to track the problem down it would invariably come down to contamination
in their air lines or even their compressor. Either that or there was some
guy in the other room lubing door seals with a can of spray silicone.

Good luck

Jim