Re: Painting Fiberglass

To: Autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Painting Fiberglass
From: Jim Wilson <jim@jamesdwilson.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 20:23:26 -0400
You are getting fisheyes because there is something on the surface, or
possibly even
embedded into the fiberglass that is incompatible with the paint. Seeing as
how this
is new fiberglass it is probably either wax or mold release. You may
removed it by
sanding the surface - then again you may embed whatever it is deeper into the
fiberglass. The best way to remove any traces of wax or grease from a surface
before painting is to use a good quality wax and grease remover by a name
brand auto paint manufacturer like PPG, Sikkens, Dupont etc. This is a common
problem in auto body because cars that get in accidents typically have been
waxed, had oil dripped on them etc. and must be cleaned up thoroughly
before repainting. If you have already applied some paint to the piece and
you have the fisheyes stuck in the paint you may be able to get rid of them
by first lightly sanding the area affected, wiping down thoroughly with
the wax and grease remover and then painting over the areas with
a good quality primer sealer. Sometimes this will work but be aware
that if you paint over something that paint does not like to stick to -
like wax or grease, you may get lucky and avoid the fisheyes but may
have problems with peeling paint later.

Good Luck

Jim Wilson