Re: Definition of a Sports Car

To: <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Definition of a Sports Car
From: Chris Shepard <maverick@unixbox.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:12:26 -0600
        Good point, and well said.  I'm building a junkyard rescue
up to a (hopefully) competitive Prepared car for Solo2, and after
I reached a certain plateau of roadworthiness I found it less
and less enjoyable on the street.  The transistion from non-running
junker to fun "sports car" was pure joy.  The transistion from
streetable "sports car" to dedicated, performance-oriented autocross
car is painful.

        From the racing-oriented perspective of the SCCA, it's
hard to say where the "upper" line is drawn between "sports" cars
and "performance" cars, but the "lower" line is pretty obvious:
If it looks like a sports car, drives like a sports car, and is
as much fun as a sports car, then it's a sports car.    (Quack!)

        Personally, I think Neons and Imprezas are amongst the
ugliest cars ever built (don't flame me, it's just a personal
opinion), but I've ridden (autox passenger) in a Neon and was
quite impressed and have been outrun on a road course by a Soobie,
so who am I to say what car is sportier than another?

        I think "sports car", as a definition, is more a matter
of who's driving the car and what his/her level of appreciation
for the sport of driving is, and what the demands/expectations
he/she makes of their vehicle are, rather than an absolute category of
automobile.  I could have tons of fun with a 59 VW Beetle, but
some people might hate a 911S Porsche 'cause it's "cramped".

        Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I think that's
where this "definition" belongs.

        IMHO, of course...a horse...of course...

--
Chris Shepard
Bailey, Colorado