Subaru RS Prep #3 - STS Next Event (longish)

To: "'evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com'"
Subject: Subaru RS Prep #3 - STS Next Event (longish)
From: "Stolz, Ken" <StolzK@mso.umt.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:42:35 -0600
Thanks to all for the earlier advice.

Had the car aligned on Friday and was able to get about 1.0 degree of
negative camber on all four corners.

It rained all day Saturday and snowed that night and Sunday morning, so we
were unable to get the race trailer out of "storage" for our first event on
Sunday.  So we grabbed most of the cones and set up a practice course where
we all got lots of runs for time on a very "round" course.  The Impreza
seemed to have all the power and speed I needed in second, so I concentrated
on line and braking.  I had the second or third fastest run in the morning
and first or second in the afternoon.  Of course, many of the "big guns"
stayed home or ran on street tires because of the weather (course was mostly
dry despite the weather all around us).  The Impreza seemed relatively
neutral (at least compared to my Fieros from last year), but I'm going to
adjust the rear sway bar up one notch to see if I can get it to rotate
without becoming too squirrelly.

I'd like to get the car fully prepped and about 8 more days of competition
before I head for some Evolution courses this July.

Next step seems to be struts and coilovers as the car did have a lot of lean
and was lifting the inside rear wheel a couple of inches.  Several of you
have suggested KYB AGX adjustables and Ground Control coilovers (I've been
told that 9" springs allow stock ride height for winter, but an inch or two
lower for summer/AutoX).

My questions:

1. What do you recommend for struts and coilovers?

2. Should I also get some camber plates or ... to get more camber with the
aftermarket struts and coilovers?

3. Rear strut tower brace?

4. Poly bushings (where are they most important)?

As always, many thanks!

~ Ken Stolz
Missoula, MT
Big Sky Region 38