Best stock C4 Vette autocrosser

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Best stock C4 Vette autocrosser
From: "Thompson, Adrian (A.L.)" <athomps9@visteon.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 11:24:58 -0400
I'm thinking of getting a C4 Corvette later this summer and have some
questiosn for the Corvette guru's out there
First, what would people recommend as the best year for a daily (summer
only) driver/stock class autocrosser? I see that the 88 - 91, or earlier L98
cars are the most popular. Why do people favor these over the later LT1
cars? I would have thought the 300hp LT1 would have a big advantage over the
up to 245hp L98's. Is it the greater low end torque or something else that
people like?
Next options, is it worth trying to search out a Z07/Z51 option? On the
88-91 cars I think this is shocks, springs, bars and brakes and might be
worth it. On the LT1 cars I think they all got the brakes so it's just
springs and bars. If so I'm probably OK with a base car as I'm not sure I
want the stiffer ride on the street, especially with the C4's poor rigidity
and squeak/rattles. I live in SE Michigan and anyone who knows Detroit roads
would understand the preferance for softer springs.
I was thinking of a 92 LT1 with as few options on it as I can find. I think
the later cars were better put together and I like the later interior and
the LT1 engine, although I actually prefer the styling of the earlier cars.
Also I'd find it hard to sell my Mustang to get a less powerful/slower car,
especially for the odd trip down the 1/4 mile.  Having said that I do want
the best autocrosser.
Thanks for any advice you may have to offer.
Adrian Thompson.