Re: Need Ford Probe GT info...

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Need Ford Probe GT info...
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 23:33:35 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Ian McCloghrie <ian@codrus.com>

> The biggest problems with the Probes were body integrity sorts of
> things.  The stiff suspension (for a factory install) combined with
> typical Ford build quality produced a lot of rattles and squeaks.
> The only other issue I remember was that, like most Mazda motors it eats
> plug wires and the valve cover gaskets tend to leak.  Changing the gasket
> on the front bank isn't too hard, but doing the rear means taking the
> throttle body, intake manifold and 20 or 30 assorted vacuum lines off,
> and was a pretty big PITA.  It is an interference engine, and 60K is
> the timing belt change interval, so that's something you'll want to
> make sure is done.

The MX-6 -- same engine, different body and suspension tuning -- was a far
more successful autocross car; MX-6s won GS at Nationals five years in a
row, with four different drivers.  I suspect part of the advantage over the
Probe was due to lack of a hatchback -- that big hole in the bodyshell
probably didn't help the Probe's rigidity, and although I don't know the
weight difference between the two cars, hatches are generally pretty heavy.

My brother-in-law had an MX-6, and while he liked the car, he hated working
on it.  He was constantly burning plugs on the rear row of cylinders -- he
was sure the cylinders were running lean, but couldn't figure out a way to
fix it.

And personally, after 2 years of owning and constantly fixing an early
Mystique, I'd walk before owning another Ford product....

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si (fewer problems in 9 years than that damn Mystique had in
2...)
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr