Re: Demographics Now

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Demographics Now
From: "msmith2" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 23:41:28 -0500
> Because I think talking demographics in the same breath as autocrossing is
> an oxymoron.

So why'd ya bring it up?

> Sure there has. It is now. Attendance at Topeka is at an all time high.

Sure, compare the largest autocross event to all other autocrosses and
declare it a success... There are usually more people at test n' tune night
at the local drag strip every week than there is at the local 3 autocrosses
combined.

Ok, if it's a national craze, what publication is dedicated SOLEY to
autocrossing other than North American Pylon? Other motorsports have
multiple mags dedicated to them. Some, have entirely TOO many, but if the
subscribership is there, why not?

> I'll take that bet. Virtually nobody quits road racing and takes up
> autocrossing. Same with drag racing or any other form of motorsports. We
get
> new members from people who subscribe to Autoweek and Road & Track, people
> who have a sports car, people who LIKE to autocross once they try it.

I came from drag racing. It takes too much money to make a car fast enough
to be a challenge to drive. But then, that's the problem in the first
place... Autocrossing is a driver's sport. Drag Racing is almost 100% car.
Since most of these people are car nuts first, and drivers second, they drag
race. The idea is to show the drag racers that driving is fun too.

> I don't get your point. Most reasonable people think that we have enough
> classes - that adding more classes only dilutes the number who show up in
> other classes. I tend to agree although I guess you probably know by now I
> disgree with sticking ringers in most stock classes.

You said there were 'too few classes to put up with this nonsense'. I
thought most believed there were too many.

It might dilute the existing classes, it might not. I'm willing to withhold
judgement on SM until it works out either direction. It's the only way we'll
really know, despite the apparent ownership by some members of functioning
crystal balls.

> I would agree with that.

That's good, because that defines SM. They're tinkerer's who want their cars
to stay on the street and think SP is too restrictive. I sometimes wished I
could take the Camaro out on the street, but, as a CP car, it attracts WAY
too much undesired attention....

> Sure it is. I think the closest 'auto buzzword' would be Grand Touring.
IMHO
> that is a sports car... And when I competed head to head in a NA 944 I
> didn't think twice that some of my best competitors were driving Honda
Civic
> Sis. But see, I saw nothing wrong with that because they happened to turn
> very similar times on an autocross course. But some people though this was
> very bad, particularly when I started whomping their asses on a regular
> basis. Right CHD?!?

Grand Touring is also known as Touring Car, as in those 4-door SEDANS that
make up those series'. That is what all the people that SM targets are
trying to emulate. You won't find any 'sports cars' in there....

Besides, those CSP Hondas used to whip on me fircely when I was in ESP.....

> I think you are mistakenTake the people who showed up for SM this year at
> Topeka. I bet they ALL competed with the SCCA in other classes before SM
was
> created. What _evidence_ do you have to the contrary?

Since I don't know the personal data of the SM entrants at nationals, I
can't say. I CAN say that over 75% of the SM contingent here has 'N' next to
their name for Novice. It's also ranking in the top 5 classes for the number
of entries.

However, I'm pretty sure Dennis has the nationals 'newbie' count compiled
already......

> There used to be a Pro Solo class for pickups. That was another one of
> Howards more brilliant moves. As far as I know only one person ever showed
> up. He usually placed 1st. :)

I would expect exactly that. If nobody runs in it, it can't stay. However,
SM is already proving to be bigger than any other of the experimental
classes introduced lately...

BTW, are the 'CP wheel-chock' go-karts still a Solo 2 class?

Mike CP58