Re: BFG tires

To: "'autox'" <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: BFG tires
From: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 16:04:24 -0600
So, I was thinking about how to gain the necessary clearance under the rear
of my Neon in order to easily run 225 width tires without neccessitating
really expensive custom offset wheels.  The biggest challenge to gaining the
required clearance is the factory rear "tension" stabilizer arms (like 4
link bars) that run too close to the tires.  I actually read the rules this
time, or at least the proposed 2001 STS rules as found on the SCCA.org site,
and found the following section that may help my cause.

"F. Addition or replacement of suspension stabilizers (linkage connecting
axle or De Dion to the chassis that controls lateral suspension location) is
permitted. Traction Bars or torque arms may be added or replaced. A panhard
rod may be added or replaced. Methods of attachment and attachment points
are unrestricted."

So, do y'all think, according to this rule, that I could relocate the
factory "tension" stabilizer arm a bit more inboard to gain the needed tire
clearance?  If I can't physically move it then at least I could use offset
Delrin bushings to gain a little more tire clearance.

And could someone point out to me exactly where the "tire can't stick out
past the fender when viewed form above" rule was stricken from the rules?
Supposedly it was in a FasTrack update.

Thanks in advance.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
1998 Dodge Neon R/T
#69 STS    #13 TLS
eric10mm@qni.com

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.
Small people always do that, but the really great make you
feel that you, too, can become great."
Mark Twain (1835-1910)