SM is my class!

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: SM is my class!
From: "Farzaan Kassam" <fkassam@direct.ca>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 00:14:26 -0800
Kent wrote:
>Your contention that the 944T would be a very fast car
>in SM trim is probably why there is some debate about
>whether they should be allowed in SM at all.  IMO, a
>fast Porsche may beat the current crop of cars in SM,
>but SM is very early in it's evolution and the level of
>competition will increase dramatically over the next
>few years.  For example, an ESP (B/SP) M3
>w/supercharger is legal in SM, as is as CSP Civic
>w/turbocharger,  and a CSP RX3 with a turbo or even
>twin turbos!

This whole thread is very interesting because it seems my taste is linked to
this class!  My race car is a 1991 Talon AWD, my street car is a 1989 944
Turbo S, with boost mods of course and I co-drove a friend's Supra TT at the
last practice event for fun!

What I find interesting is that each car has its positives and negatives,
but in the end, my personal belief is that the 944 Turbo will be the quicker
car if built correctly.  Out of all three cars, it is by far the better
platform to start with.  I found my friend's Supra a blast to drive, but it
still doesn't have the feel a Porsche does.  He previously owned a 1989 944
Turbo and agrees with my comments.  The Talon is an interesting car and we
hope to be competitive in it in our local region.  We get to do turbo mods
in SuperStock class which is why my 944 Turbo was able to be competitive
with the super quick RX-7 Twin Turbos.  My Talon which will produce
somewhere around 400hp is allowed to run in E/SP up here.  Down there, it
would likely be SM.  I honestly don't think that the Talon will run more
than 1 second faster than my chipped 944 Turbo does.

Take each car to the extreme and this is what I see happening:
Talon is too laggy to be useful, needs an anti-lag computer and some
sophisticated tuning.
944T is just perfect, especially if stroking is allowed (haven't seen the SM
rules myself).
Supra is traction limited and too heavy in transitions.

These are only my thoughts based on racing the 944T for four years, racing
Talons for the previous six years and having raced the Supra only once.  A
well setup, stock M030 944 Turbo with a few boost mods is a dream to drive
in an auto-x.

Farzaan
fkassam@direct.ca