Prepared/Mod Rules question on oil venting

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Prepared/Mod Rules question on oil venting
From: "Charles Sieber" <SIEBERCW@acq.osd.mil>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 12:40:56 -0400

     Is there a consensus on whether the provisions of SCCA Solo 2 Rule 3.3.3.H
(new for 2000) have the effect of prohibiting traditional (pre-PCV) push-in or
NASCAR style valve cover breathers, since they don't terminate in a tank, or
since these breathers aren't themselves "lines" does the rule not apply?  I also
note 15.10.M.3 which seems to allow "any vent or breather" in Prepared.  (An
informal survey in this year's C/P Nationals impound showed about 50% had "open"
(mesh or foam filtered) valve cover breathers; is this OK?)
     Second question, in the case of drysumped engines with external oil tanks,
does this prohibit breathers on these tanks (which is normal circle track
practice) but require instead a line to an additional vented tank?
     I would appreciate any input, thanks.

Chuck Sieber