Re: Auto-Cross America

To: Arthur Emerson <vreihen@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Auto-Cross America
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 21:48:31 -0500
Arthur Emerson wrote:

> I've got an even crazier idea.  Instead of relaying the
> car from Beantown to Cheeze Head Land, why don't we
> all get together to relay WASHBURN from Wisconsin
> to Boston???  I'll even start by volunteering to
> drive the I-84 leg between Scranton, PA and Hartford,
> CT.  Along the way, each relay driver can autograph
> a cow spot with the mileage driven, and he can stick
> them on his new car when he gets to Boston..... :-)

This would be fun.  It would be more fun if we set up 6 minutes at a
time.

We'll call it "Auto-cross America"  Each driver stakes out about 5 miles
of remote road, and sets up an autocross course of his/her own design.
(Imaginary cones will suffice) I will get out of one car and right into
the next according to a pre-determined schedule.  Judging will be based
on overall time, difficulty level of the course, drivers ability to
demonstrate *total control* (I do want to arrive intact), and overall
fright factor from the experience.  1300 miles / 5 miles = 260 drivers.
260 runs at around 6 minutes per run plus 1 minute to shake off the last
run and get into the next = 1820 minutes or 30.3 hours.

O.K. everyone line up...first car off the line at 8:30 am sharp!  :)
:)  I'll be dazzled and shaken, but I'll be in Boston.

Pat