Re: Kansas scenery (was: Runoffs change)

To: <RHendr6343@aol.com>, <free2000@quixnet.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Kansas scenery (was: Runoffs change)
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 16:09:07 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: RHendr6343@aol.com <RHendr6343@aol.com>
To: rocky@tri.net <rocky@tri.net>; free2000@quixnet.net
<free2000@quixnet.net>; autox@autox.team.net <autox@autox.team.net>
Date: Thursday, October 19, 2000 9:30 PM

>My parents are both from central Kansas.  I was born in Detroit.  Even
after
>spending two years in Indiana, I am still amazed every time I see that part
>of the country.  While eastern Kansas may be fairly hilly in places, I'm
>pretty certain that engineers come to the central and western parts of the
>state to calibrate their instruments...

He jests, he thinks! But then, there are actually markers planted in the
ground at certain significant locations where they do just that! Such
locations including the geographic center of the Lower 48, which is up in
some farm field in Osborne County.

When is a mountain not a  mountain? When it is in Kansas. Our highest point
is Mt. Sunflower out by the Colorado border. It is technically not a steep
enough grade to be officially a mountain. One of my reporters did a story
about it once. It, too, is in a private farm field, but the owner has a path
to it anybody can use. Caller: I'm coming to climb your tallest peak, what
equipment do I need? Owner: Oh, tennis shoes will do.

--Rocky (From Kansas, a state flat enough to have had four different sites
for the Solo II Nationals)