Re: Nationals to October in Texas

To: "Brad Cox" <COXB@trimofran.org>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nationals to October in Texas
From: "Phillip Osborne" <psosborn@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:53:14 -0400
Just a perspective on Nationals at TMS....

As others have stated, yes, it is a great facility, and yes, it is
expensive.  Our total costs after everything is said and done is about 7
grand over 3 days.  We loose money on that event every year, but
fortunately, our Region is large enough, and active enough throughout the
season, that we can absorb the loss.  But, you have to remember that it is
asphalt.  While it is good asphalt, it is not great asphalt.  Most of us
whom have attended large events on asphalt know what can happen after
repeated use, especially if it happens to be excessively hot.  It breaks up
and you have to move the course.  We have been lucky this hasn't happened at
the NT, but we are talking two days competition.  Think about what 1100
drivers could do over a 4 day period.  The site IS large enough to do a Pro
and a Practice, and never touch the two National courses, but I would be
leary of the pavement staying together.  Cost at the Nationals level may not
be a factor, and I have no idea what the club pays for Forbes for the 10
days or so that we are on site, but I would suspect that TMS would cost
more...
That said, we are looking at another site that could well accomodate
Nationals, and it is excellent concrete.  Stay tuned...

Phil O.