Dealer service/warranty - WAS GPS and Big Brother Hysteria

To: jac73@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Dealer service/warranty - WAS GPS and Big Brother Hysteria
From: brandon.fetch@ey.com
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 12:50:27 -0500
Not to include everyone on this, but speaking of dealers and warranty
repairs I'm curious about other items of dealer warranty/service
responsibilities:

I've heard from numerous Neon owners, yes they do autocross, about their
power steering belts flying off.  Eric L. even noted his escapades with his
local Dodge dealership here on the list.

Now, whether it's from the sever, ferocious, rapid changes in RPM that
obviously occur in an autocross or the inexperienced standard driver, I
can't see how DC wouldn't say there were issues with the Neon's factory PS
belt setup.  I personally have had my belt spontaneously remove itself
while in traffic and caused $1000 worth of damage to my vehicle's right
side suspension.  (Left-hand turn from outer-most turn lane, shifted from
1st to 2nd around 5500RPM, belt gone, can't complete turn, hit curb)  DC
denied my claim for a warranty repair stating their 'engineering'
examination turned up nothing out of spec.

I'm not wanting to beat a dead horse, or attempt to get DC to pay me back
for the repairs (my car was 'out of service' for two weeks because they
couldn't get an inspector out earlier) but once they denied my claim, I
asked for the 'Engineers Report' showing this supposed in-spec belt
pullies.  Denied!  They cited 'proprietary data not for public use' as
their reason.

Jim C., can you shed some light on this potentially?  I'm trying to
understand how they can deny a warranty claim on a failure that I'm sure
they've heard about before, and then deny me the report stating such?
Could my dealer noted in my VIN record that I had a 4 point installed and
so was autocrossing it which 'voids' the factory warranty?  I can't see how
they can point to this type of failure as being single-handedly indicative
of abuse via autocrossing!

Help!  Jim, DG (can't think of his name)

Thanks,
Brandon
86DS '99 Neon R/T

Note:          The information contained in this message may be privileged
and confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible
for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the
message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you.  Ernst & Young LLP