Followup Q: Degreasing wheels

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Followup Q: Degreasing wheels
From: Ross Fortini <ross.fortini@excite.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 13:38:09 -0700 (PDT)
Since this thread has transmogrified into "painting wheels," here's a
"Technically, I'm a scientist, but I know *dink* about metal" question:

Can magnesium alloy wheels be treated the same as aluminum alloy? I have
some old(er) Technomagnesio wheels that are in great shape except the (I
*think* black oxide) factory finish has been worn away.

Any advice on the best methods for refinishing? Can they be powdercoated? My
concern lies in the fact that every other thing on/with/about this car was
restored/refinished/repainted *except* this (primary) set of wheels...hmmm.

TIA, metallurgical gurus!

Ross Fortini
'88 Van Diemen

Say Bye to Slow Internet!