Re: Pa System ?'s

To: Dave Whitworth <dave@wcsllc.net>
Subject: Re: Pa System ?'s
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 21:53:08 -0400
Dave Whitworth wrote:
> Also, I like the idea of the FM transmitters.  What do these involve
> and does anybody have any experience with them?

Philadelphia Region uses one from Ramsey Electronics (see
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/).  They're incredibly simple --
they take a line-level input from your mixer, and send it out through
an antenna.

If you run at more than one site, you'll want one that makes it easy
to select your broadcast frequency, since you may not be able to use
the same frequency at all your sites.  On the one we have, you set
the frequency by twisting a teeny screw inside the box, and that's just
a big pain in the arse.

You'll also want to choose a top quality antenna and set it up
properly.  This makes a very big difference in the quality of the
broadcast.

Call the folks at Ramsey; they were very knowledgeable and helpful for
us.  They can set you up with exactly the right combination of stuff.
We have the FM-10A transmitter, but I'd recommend the FM-25, or maybe
even the FM-100 (but I'm not sure how you'd make that one play with a
conventional PA).

We also have the TM-100 antenna.  There are lots of other antennas,
and I'm sure the Ramsey folks can help you choose the right one.

I've also seen how a wireless microphone can do wonders -- if you
can set up your PA equipment (mixer, amps, FM transmitter, etc)
somewhere other than at T&S, you are no longer constrained by the
position of T&S.  You no longer have to worry about the speaker wires
running across the grid, you can more easily get speakers out into the
grid and paddock areas, etc.  Of course, you'd need a generator to
power it, probably separately from the generator that powers T&S.

Mark