Re: [kcautox] Illegal tire warming???

To: <autox@autox.team.net>, <autox-cm@autox.team.net>, <kcautox@egroups.com>,
Subject: Re: [kcautox] Illegal tire warming???
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 02:04:57 -0500
IMHO, the rule against tire warming has always meant that you cannot go off
to some distant corner of the lot and do donuts for 60 seconds before coming
to the line. It most emphatically does NOT and NEVER HAS been a rule that
forbids a driver driving from his grid slot to the start line wiggling back
and forth on the way.

Hell, when I do it I AM trying to generate a tad bit of heat into the tires.
I make no bones about that. Nice if it knocks off the rocks too. I have done
it at Divisionals, I have done it at Nationals. So have most other drivers I
know in slick-tire classes (doesn't seem to be as much of an issue in street
tire classes). I have NEVER had it suggested to me that it was improper. And
I've been doing thid 35 years, more than 25 years in a Prep car.

The only rule that may be interpreted as forbidding your wiggly route to the
startline is the one that says you must do it safely. So I guess doing it at
50 mph on the ragged edge of adhesion is improper. Doing it at 10 mph where
you could not break adhesion if it was on soapsuds is not unsafe and
therefor IMHO not illegal.

I suspect the others in your class made no mention of it because it is so
common as to be not worth mention. But perhaps your event chair is not aware
of that.

--Rocky