Re: Trophies (was Ladies Classes)

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Trophies (was Ladies Classes)
From: "Dave Whitworth" <dave@wcsllc.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 09:06:33 -0500
>From Rocky:
> IMHO, it ain't broke. We're just a bunch of gearheads out having fun with
> our cars. Let's not get so self-important we have to start putting limits
on
> the fun or the sense of accomplishment.

This should be printed on a sticker and pasted on all of our team.net
monitors (myself included) so we can remember what the purpose of this sport
is.

This sport, even at the national level, is still an amateur sport where
having fun is supposed to be the main ingredient.  We all have been guilty
of taking it too seriously at one time or another.  (Myself included again!)

Yes, I do take Nationals more seriously than any other event during the
year, and it is important to me to drive my best there, whether or not I
trophy.  But I always keep in mind that even if I do win, I get a trophy and
a set of tires.  I would love to have a nationals trophy, and would
certainly love to have some $1000 tires given to me, but the cash value of
this doesn't even cover the trip to Topeka, much less all the other events I
go to.

If you run in a small class and have an issue with someone who get s a
trophy for 17th in CP I have two suggestions:  1)  You need to worry about
what YOU are doing, not somebody else and 2)  Move classes, nobody has a gun
to your head to keep you in any certain class :)

The current trophy system works well, and the ceremonies are livable, IMO

Have Fun

Dave