Re: F1 vs NASCAR

To: sjohnson@kcnet.com
Subject: Re: F1 vs NASCAR
From: "Charles R. Schultz" <n2pua4@peoplepc.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 05:20:28 -0500
Oh, come on, those little bobbles happen all the time at NASCAR events.
Remember, those guys are running skinny little spec tires on 3500-pound
cars.

I'm pretty sure I have a photo around here, somewhere, of Jimmy Spencer
dirt trackin' in turn 2 at the little track down the road from my house
(Talladega Superspeedway.)  He did continue on to finish the race that
day, I believe.  His slip is the only one I got on film, but there was
something like it going on every lap.

I'd much rather watch racin' (of any class or sanctioning body) on a
road course, but the NASCAR (and local dirt-track) ovals do put on good
shows.

No, I don't watch NASCAR for the crashes.  I watch it for the crashes
that are avoided!

F1, on the other hand, I _do_ watch for the first two laps to see what
boneheaded ways they manage to have a cluster foxtrot, since, after lap
two, everybody's afraid or unable to pass.  After that, I can't get
excited about somebody winning a race because of having a two-stop
strategy instead of a one-stop strategy, or because the other overpaid
wanker runs the car into the marbles.

Whoops, I shouldn't call 'em overpaid.  Like pro football, if they put
asses in the seats, they're worth every penny.  They just won't get my
money (unless I happen to be in Indy the right weekend.)  ;^)

I'm willing to admit that I'm afraid of trading paint, so that's one
reason I autocross.  Anybody who races wheel-to-wheel is therefore
better, braver, or stupider than I am.  Just don't try to tell me NASCAR
ain't good racin', and that anybody can do it.

I suggest you spend the price of an evolution 1 and 2 school and prove
that you can drive a Winston Cup car as fast as the big boys.  You can
buy a ride in the driver's seat at almost any NASCAR venue, these days.
Be careful, though.  You might be impressed.

Chuck (damn, i hate elitists) Schultz

--
Chuck Schultz     /
Mailto:n2pua4@peoplepc.com