Re: Tech inspection, what to do....

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tech inspection, what to do....
From: Matthew Carson <mcars@vt.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 23:09:46 -0400
>Seriously, though, I have a hard time believing that fly-by-wire throttles
>are necessary, a real advance, or even a very good idea.

Actually electronic throttle control gets some neat benefits, especially in
areas of simplicity, and a little bit of weight savings.  No more idle air
control valve, throttle cable, cruise control module, cruise control cable,
throttle relaxer for the traction control, the associated cable for
that....  (I know I know I also believe the ideal car doesn't have any of
that anyway :)  At one point I know Chevy talked about incorporating a
rev-matching feature in there for manual transmission cars, but I don't
think if they ever did.  You can use it also to help manage the engine
during automatic tranny shifts.  There are probably many more useful things
you could do if someone just wrote the software....

-Matt