OSP, was BSM, SM2

To: "'dg50@daimlerchrysler.com'" <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>,
Subject: OSP, was BSM, SM2
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 12:50:04 -0700
Dennis Grant writes...

>> Is cutthroat bad?

>Only if it gets mean/nasty.

And...

> > What is "out of hand?"
>
> Imagine someone building a Bug or Starlet using a lot of
> Indycar parts,
> carbon fiber, and other really expensive bits, and doing a lot of
> engineering work. Wind tunnels. Suspension modeling. Test facilities.

I think they already do. :)

Mean/nasty is a value judgement. My perception of what's mean/nasty might be
different than yours. Not only that, I can't find a mean/nasty clause in the
rulebook.

Hey, you asked for it, you WORKED for it, you got it, go for it. I wish SM
continued success.

Back to the OSP topic. It sounds like what you're saying against OSP as a
National class is that there would be no way to control the amount of money
spent on a car, therefore, encouraging some sort of mean/nasty cutthroat
element.

What I'm trying to say is that this is unavoidable in any class. I can't
find any evidence that creative car building means "nasty." Or even
"cutthroat."

In a class like OSP, where it is a given that there are essentially no
rules, it would be really amazing to see what would happen, or more over,
what is already happening in small sections of the US. Maybe _I_ wouldn't
run there. I haven't the skills, money, nor garage. But if there's already
an existing contingent, why not?

It just sounds like your only real argument against it is that such a class
would bring out the ugliness in people, and I'm just countering that with
TOO LATE. Competition does that already. What we need, in fact, aren't more
rules, but someone to remind us to grow up, because obviously, so many of us
have totally forgotten the Golden Rules of the Game.

I also believe that channeled correctly (more and more rare, nowadays... Go
Romania!) competition also brings out the best in people.

As a fan of engineers, I'm just really curious to see what would happen in a
National OSP. Not that we *need* another class or anything, but how's this
for a twist - Here's a class I'd support, but I won't even compete in it!
It's a U Class! And hey, here's one that exists already, and sounds like
it's going strong in various parts of the country. So sue me for dwelling on
the positive.

Any OSPers out there? What do you think?

Katie