Re: GS BMW's - Which Best?

To: Autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: GS BMW's - Which Best?
From: Brian Berryhill <brianberryhill@usa.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 15:34:27 -0500
> I believe that from 1996 on all non-M 3 series sedans (2 and 4 door E36
and
> E46) have not been imported with limited slip differentials. They all have
> standard traction control, that works well for street driving but cuts the
> throttle way too much for use in competition.

I used a loaner '99 or '00 BMW 328i 4 door automatic at a summer autox event
where my Probe's tires were cording and thought it was a pretty interesting
experience to say the least.

I thought using the traction control (DSC) would help, and it does in the
sweepers and slaloms, but when you want power out of a corner, as soon as
one tire loses grip, it kills the throttle.  The ABS is wonderful though....
I wish my Probe had it for autox.

On run 3/4 I turned the DSC off and had a blazing time, but I spun in the
slalom.  It was nice driving a RWD car and being able to use the power to
sling the rear around.  The car didn't have the sport suspension I assume,
so it rolled like crazy.  It also had some hard compound Goodyears on it, so
they didn't grip very well either.

Normally where I would trophy in the street tire PAX in my Probe running in
DSP, I ended up getting the last trophy spot in the pax with the GS Beemer
on run 4 that someone didn't call in I hit a cone.  Since I knew I hit the
cone and I figured I didn't hit the cone, flip it up in the air, and land it
back in the box, I gave my trophy to the guy behind me (his 2nd time out).

So, I guess not only do you have to be a good driver to win, you have to be
a good driver of your specific car.

Brian

PS... Greenwood, MS, Tri-State autox September 30/October 1.

--
Brian Berryhill
http://www.angelfire.com/ms/brianberryhill/