Re: GS BMW's - Which Best?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GS BMW's - Which Best?
From: David Rowney <daver@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:19:00 -0700
I believe that from 1996 on all non-M 3 series sedans (2 and 4 door E36 and
E46) have not been imported with limited slip differentials. They all have
standard traction control, that works well for street driving but cuts the
throttle way too much for use in competition.

I've just completed the SFR Solo II season driving a 1997 328i in our local
Street Tire PAX class.  My car has been competitive when surface conditions
are good - i. e. afternoon run groups, but in morning run groups,
especially the first, wheel spin is too excessive to get good exit speed
from turns.  I would guess that on R tires the chassis would unload the
inside rear wheel even more and make wheel spin worse, but I can't confirm
this.  I have also found that with traction control enabled my times
increase about 1.5 sec. on typical 50 sec. courses.

I must agree with Kevin that a factory race car like the  E30 M3 probably
should not be moved to GS - but I also wonder about the other factory race
cars with R in their names that are in the class!

Dave
*                   Dave Rowney, Hopper Racing              *
*                   BMW 328i, SCCA G-Stock Solo II          *
*                   El Cerrito, California 94530 USA        *
*******************  DaveR@UCLink4.Berkeley.Edu  ************