RE: Was M3 - - now ESP participation

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Was M3 - - now ESP participation
From: Jeff Winchell <jwinchell@Giftspot.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:49:29 -0700
JW> It is possible for a class to be a ponycar class, and for non-ponycars
to do
JW> well, and even from time to time win by a normal margin at the national
JW> level. The DSM's are an example of this in ESP. I have heard of no
outcry to
JW> remove them from ESP.

LW>If they'd left the turbo issue alone and a DSM actually won... oh yeah,
LW>there would have been a big outcry.

If they won by a large margin, and did it consistently, then yes it would be
like the situation with the M3.

As it happened, the top non-M3 in the ProSolo points was a DSM. OTOH, in
this year's Nationals, the top non-M3 was a ponycar. The next fastest non-M3
was a DSM. In the 7 National Tours, ponycars won 5 and DSM's won 2. In 7
ProSolos the same split was there.

I haven't seen any complaints about this kind of result.

JW> What Mark and others don't want is for non-ponycars to win by a LARGE
margin
JW> at the national level, nor is it desired for non-ponycars to win MOST of
the
JW> time (I hope this doesn't bother the DSM drivers).

LW>Is 1.1 seconds overall really a large margin?

Only due to a great performance by Mark, was it this "small". Mark had the
second highest PAXed score.

LW>Another example was disallowing the update/backdate of turbochargers to
LW>keep the DSM's down.

They seem quite competitive. I'm guessing the turbocharger issue was to
prevent them from being overdogs.

JW> Also, the main reason there is a ponycar class is the very large number
of
JW> people who buy these cars and want to race them.

LW>That's fine.  All I'm saying is that any car that is in a class should
have
LW>the "right" to win.

There's a difference between winning occasionally by a bit, and dominating
an entire class.
And unfortunately they don't have enough classes to make your request
possible, and having that many classes would cause other problems. At least
the structure serves more people than it doesn't.

JW> If someone wanted to start a class for DeLoreans, no matter how cool
that
JW> person thought Deloreans were, there aren't enough similar people to
justify
JW> such a class.

LW>There is a class for DeLoreans.  Chances are, if a DeLorean ever took the
LW>BSP title away from a Corvette, it would soon be reclassed as well.

Why? They didn't do that to the 240Z?

BTW, do you drive a DSM?