Re: South Course was Car, North Course was Driver?

To: "Craig Blome" <cblome@yahoo.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: South Course was Car, North Course was Driver?
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 14:02:59 -0500
IMHO, they were both driver courses.

South gave more room to use the horsepower, but also sucked you in to using
too much. While mine is not a horsepower car, I found fast time by giving up
that speed you really wanted to carry into the corners. The fast "Hang on
Jose" slalom and the "Larry Park Way" both would suck you in with their
intoxicating speed. You did not WANT to brake, but you had to. I saw a lot
of people drive the first part of The Ess badly, getting deep into the
pocket and wasting a ton of time. I thought I could take the entry into Moon
River fairly fast ... had to back that down too.

The first turn on the North course bit a lot of people in the butt -- that
fast downhill entry to a sharp 90 had a lot of people going deep and having
to turn back uphill. The chute feeding the slalom was just right for an
upshift I found I did not want. The stairsteps ("Anaconda" was tricky and
took great restraint. And it was so easy to turn that final horseshoe too
tight and end up wrong for the kink that followed.

There was more room for horsepower on the south, but you had to drive it.
The north was more a handling course, but there were plenty of places to get
into trouble if you did not drive it well. Taken as a pair, they equalized
wonderfully, IMHO, and neither was truly extreme by itself.

--Rocky