Re: What is the scoop in GS??

To: "Larry R. Metz" <lrmetz@home.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What is the scoop in GS??
From: "Mike Neary" <mcneary@usa.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 23:16:46 -0400
Many, many differences in the two cars.  I used to think the same
thing you think: "What's the big deal?  Can they be that different?"
Then one weekend at a local autocross I was afforded the
opportunity to drive the Type-R that had been kicking my arse all
season.  I spun it on my first two attempts and managed to keep it
facing the correct direction on my last run, but did not push the car
nearly as hard as I could have with more seat time in it.  I figure the
car had at least another second in it, but I managed to turn a 54.3.
The following heat I ran my 97 GS-R for some non-comp runs.
Mind you this is a car I had run 6 or 7 events in already so I was
used to its handling characteristics; in addition, I knew the course
already, having had 3 runs on it in the Type-R.  The best I could
muster in my car was a 55.6!!  Both cars were bone stock with the
exception of comp tires; the Type-R has some very hard and worn
BFGs from the previous season and my car had Kumhos with
about 6 events on them.

Needless to say, my opinion of the Type-R changed right there.
The car is awesome.  If you could put a bigger rear bar on the GS-
R and add a limited slip (both standard on the Type-R) it would be
more competitive, but I still think the Type-R would beat it.

http://members.aol.com/josh3030/specifications.html

This page compares the two cars.  In addition to what it mentioned
here the frame and body of the Type-R are signifigantly stronger
and stiffer than the GS-R and the Type-R suspension is stiffer.
Hope this helps some.

Mike

scoop in GS??, dated 3 Sep 2000,:

Got my wife (drive to work) an Acura Integra,'96 model GS-R...I have
been in modified classes to long not current on the stock classes.

What is the big deal about the Type R?  What do they have that the
older '96 version does not have?

Anyone patient enough to explain the issues here??

Shall I just forget it, no use to enter in a solo with this "old out
of date car?"

I remember when the G stock cars were really the low power
FWD.....like early '70's Honda Civic was the thing, and tires lasted
two or more years!

Has the solo board thought anything about having a Senior's
tour???

Larry    #66 solo vee...staying home this year

Mike Neary....what's it to ya?
'97 Acura Integra GS-R, DSP
http://www.qis.net/~zoomie
http://www.autocrossers.org