RE: New Miata

To: "Ax List (E-mail)" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: New Miata
From: "Eric Buckley" <ejbuckley@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 19:30:10 -0500
jon e prevo wrote:

> IMHO, stock classes work well for those who need to race their daily
> drivers.  I have yet to see the attraction stock classes hold for
> accomplished, committed racers...

I'm not really sure how you're defining accomplished and committed. Last I
checked, Solo II was still being billed as a "grassroots" form of auto
racing. By definition, we're all amateurs, here.

If you mean someone who attends 20 events a year and is reasonably
competitive, then perhaps I can answer your question.

If I had a dedicated race car, I would drive it for about 3 hours a year.
Road racing is out of my price range and even with driving schools, test
sessions, and entering two heats at every event, 200 runs is about as many
as I can get in.

The thing is, I really like the way a performance car handles. I want to
drive it more than that. Running in Stock or Street Touring lets me put my
performance money into a car I drive all the time.

Sure, a real race car can be less than a street car. Then again, it can be a
lot more. I don't think you can say that one form is definitively more than
another. Both can be cheap (15 year old HS Civic or Formula Vee) or very
expensive (new SS NSX or AP Porsche 911 GT1 car).

Eric Buckley
7STR: 98 Integra GSR
St Louis Region