Re: Heat cycle for the DOT Race tires, needed or not?

To: oz@tirerack.com, pfoster@gdi.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Heat cycle for the DOT Race tires, needed or not?
From: "Kevin Stevens" <kevin_stevens@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 11:43:08 PDT
>Allow 24-48 hours mininum time before using or don't bother
>heatcycling at all.

One aspect of heat-cycling I've never understood is the above.  If the tires
aren't good to go as soon as they cool, then there must be some bonding
transitions still going on - that's clear.  What's not clear is how.  Once
they have cooled any chemical reactions are going to be happening at a
glacial rate compared to what goes on when they're heated up.  And
apparently those reactions DON'T take place below a critical temperature, or
the tires would "heat-cycle" just sitting around in the garage.

Have you ever heard/asked about this, Bill?  It would seem to me that
allowing the tires to cool to ambient temperature and then drenching them
with a hose should accomplish the same thing a lot more quickly.

KeS