Re: C4-C5 Corvettes in stock

To: bthatch@juno.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: C4-C5 Corvettes in stock
From: "Kevin Stevens" <kevin_stevens@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:38:10 PDT
>From: Ben Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com>
>To: autox@autox.team.net
>Subject: C4-C5 Corvettes in stock
>Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:38:54 -0400
>
>The C4 Corvettes have consistently proven to be faster in autocross
>than C5s.

I don't know about that.  As fast, maybe.  Most of the better drivers are
still in C4s and RX-7s, because those are the cars they already have.  But
by all means send your letter in to have the two classed together.

>Speculation that the new Z06 will dominate is yet to be
>proved.

Right, it won't be proved until next year.

>What looks good on paper, from factory hype and enthusiastic
>Corvette magazine articles doesn't mean a thing until our top
>drivers/preparers put their skill into them.

That's just silly.  Taking that position would mean that there is no basis
in classifying ANY new car.  From the published specs, the only possible
deficit the Z06 could have compared to a 2000 C5 hardtop is that second gear
is slightly shorter (68mph).  More power, more torque, more gear, more
wheel, more camber, more spring, less weight.
Let me think, let me think.  Yeah, I think it will be faster.

>Remember, when Chevy rolled out the C5, EVERYONE was talking about
>how much better they were than the C4. Didn't work out that way on
>the autocross course.
>
>Ben Thatcher
>86 C4 in BSP

KeS