Re: Classing by Potential

To: Steve Sucsy <ssucsy@nts-online.net>
Subject: Re: Classing by Potential
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 07:31:36 -0500
Steve Sucsy wrote:

> Being a new S2000 owner, I'm a little distressed that the car is already
> perceived to be a match for the C4 Corvette, the
> M Coupe and Roadster, and the Boxter S, even though the new 217 hp Boxter
> has won the lion's share of AS Tour and Pro events this year.  I'll grant
> that Gary Thomason in a well prepared S2000 is an ominous force, but let's
> not reclassify the car because of one driver.<snip>

I stopped reading right here.  Like it or not, car classing is based on
the potential performance, and is blind to who is driving.  If even one
person can make a car perform to a certain level, than logic tells you
that the car has the potential for that given performance.  The fact
that only one driver can do it is irrelevant.  Look at the DS, or should
I call it the Daddio, PAX number.  Basically set by one person.  The
fact that we mere mortals have yet to perform to this level is our
problem, not the SEB's.  The car will do it, that's been proven, so how
can we argue that the car is mis-classed or that the index is off?

Pat Washburn