Re: ayer roll, hold the mayo

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ayer roll, hold the mayo
From: "Scott Phelps" <scott_phelps@gdt1.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:09:59 -0400
>From: Stephen Bernard <solo-2@juno.com> writes:
>Subject: Re: Ayer Tour

>>> 6)  Drivers need to know when to give up on a run (and how do they
>>> learn?)
>I saw the Yugo nearly roll but he backed off and it settled down.
>I think it shook him up since he seemed far more mellow on the throttle
>after that.

Guilty as charged.  I should point out, however, that my incident was on course
A, *NOT* the course the Tracer rolled on.  I came out of the start, got into
3rd, and was accelerating briskly when I realized the slalom that I had
forgotten about was right in front of me. Whoops.  I attempted to make it
around the 1st cone, didn't, hit it, got the car VERY unsettled, and proceeded
to take out the rest of the slalom as I let the car settle out, and coast to a
stop. Once the car started to wag, I knew I needed to let the car go where it
was going to, but there was also no people, cars, or anything to hit but cones
in my path either. It was entirely my fault, for not remembering the slalom was
there, going too fast, and attempting to make it through.  I was fairly shook
up, and it was quite a ride. I think the car was on two wheels, but I'm not
sure. I doubt the car would have rolled, as it's pretty low, wide, + stiff, but
the possibilty was there. Not one of my best moments in the three years I've
been racing. I had plenty of frustration on the A course, as I don't think I
walked it enough.  I enjoyed the B course more, and drove it much better, but I
also walked it twice as much, so that may have had something to do with it.
Both courses were very fast, and required LONG stretches of time in third gear.
Lots of fun.

>I think it was a great event.

So do I - My first tour event, I came away very impressed with the level of
organization, the courses, the great people, and the keen competition.  Thanks
to all who were responsible for putting on a great event.

Scott Phelps
88 Yugo GVX EP - NER
http://members.tripod.com/yugopwr