Re: <Was clarification> Now Speed of AWD

To: Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com
Subject: Re: <Was clarification> Now Speed of AWD
From: "Mr. DSM" <MrDSM@excite.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 12:18:30 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 31 May 2000 09:20:50 -0700, Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com wrote:

>  Fedja,
>
>  I have to disagree with you.  You are comparing two cars that are not
alike in
>  any way.  The reason a CamaroBird runs 105mph in the 1/4 mile is because
it has
>  300+ flywheel hp.  The reason you can run the same ET is because you have
AWD.

>  Take the AWD car with the same power to weight ratio and you should net a
>  quicker ET with similar trap speeds.  We must compare apples to apples.
>
>  AB

Well, now I have to disagree with you :)
My car for example had 300+ flywheel HP last year and that is why it run 100
m/h at the 1/4. I got there quicker than similar (power wise) RWD or FWD car
which will have a higher trap speed at the end and lower ET.

And the best example for that is the compare two DSMs. One FWD and other
AWD. It is easy to find two with similar power mods and AWD is usually
quicker, but FWD has a higher ET.

This is all due to the tire spinning. AWD doesn't spend much of the time
spinning tires at the beginning and moves further forward. But, because of
that it has less of the track left to make some good trap speeds.

FWD car (or RWD for the same reason) spend more time spinning tires and
doesn't go as far ahead. But, it has more track left to run and it gains
more trap speed at the end.

Fedja
95 AWD
#34 ESP