Re: Volkswagen Woes

To: Larry Steckel <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Volkswagen Woes
From: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 20:27:44 -0700
Larry Steckel wrote:

> The car will not start unless cranked for some time. When it does fire, it
> runs like it is on 2 3/4 cylinders, or like the cams were from a 426 drag
> Hemi engine. Once it gets over about 2000 rpm it evens out, but I can still
> detect a slight intermittent miss at that rpm level.

Did you reinstall the camshafts in the head, or did your head rebuilder
do this? Sounds like the camshaft timing may be off a tooth. I'd check
relative timing - intake vs. exhaust camshafts - as well as absolute
(exhaust cam vs. crank).

>  And the hydraulic
> lifters are making noises like they aren't pumping up properly.

If the cam timing is off a tooth, it's possible that some valves have
already been bent, which would result in a nikka nikka sound. This is
also possible if you don't allow new lifters sufficient time to collapse
between installation of the camshafts and cranking the engine. I hope
this all turns out to be irrelevant, but it has to be considered a
possibility.

Good luck,

Jay