Re: Uh oh, M3s in ESP... again! (was: Re: more peru musings)

To: Ron Katona <rkatona@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: Uh oh, M3s in ESP... again! (was: Re: more peru musings)
From: "Jeff Winchell" <Jeff@Winchell.Com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 01:16:51 -0700
SE>> The BMW's just have great handling. It's becoming very obvious
>>that as a minimum the M-3's should be moved to BSP.

RK> Not to me. The car isn't competitive in CSP.

Bob's time at Peru was 1.6 seconds FASTER than the 1st place CSP
car.

Considering he was 1-2 seconds faster than his ESP "competition" at
all the events he's been at this year, being less than a second away
from the national champion type people driving in CSP at the other
events seems competitive enough to me.

If he had been directly competing in their class, he would have either
won, or done well enough to be in the thick of things (and not putting on
the brakes before the finish, or braking out of the challenge 3
consecutive runs).

In stock trim, the M3 runs in A Stock competing with 911s. More than
one national champion  has told me in Street Prepared trim the M3
should again compete with the 911s, in ASP. Since Bob Tunnell's times
have been better than any ASP driver at any ProSolo he's been to this
year, the argument has merit.

> And doesn't a stock '96 Camaro weigh in at 3400 lb? Aren't you competing in E
>_Street
> Prepared_? Haven't you lightened your car to the limits of the SP rules?

In another message is a lengthy description, with his permission, of the
Dave Shotz's former WS-6 and why it weighs 3460.

> As far as the handling, again, this is street prepared, not stock.
> Coil-overs, camber aids, big wheels and tires, and adjustable sway bars
> don't work as well on a Camaro as an M3?

You can't get much camber on a Camaro SS. And other types of
ponycars don't even have coil-overs.

>  Marcus has put together a fairly
> > good analysis of the BMW's prior performance and sent it with a letter to
> > the SEB and Howard Ducan.

> Great. I'd love to see that.

http://ponycar.net/ESP/M3_Class_SEB_Letter.rtf
and
http://ponycar.net/ESP/M3_Class_Detail.xls

> I just hope that it includes several top M3 drivers and not just Tunnell.

There aren't several top M3 drivers in ESP.

> How are all the other M3 drivers doing?

Beating better drivers than they are.

> And if Bob wins the nationals (not a sure thing at all)

I'll bet a $1000 on it Ron. And if I get another couple dozen takers,
perhaps I can recoup the loss I'll take having to sell my ESP ponycar
because it has no prayer against the M3s.