Re: horizontal cut in Kuhmos?

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: horizontal cut in Kuhmos?
From: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 17:17:18 -0400
<<<
After two seasons using RA-1s and R1s I just ran my first event on kuhmos.
On the front (Integra GSR, 225/50s) most of the visible tread is gone, while
the backs look almost like new.  It went through 8 autocross runs and about
25 laps of a speed trial, most on smooth pavement, but some on rough
concrete. The circumferential grooves in front are still pretty deep.

The problem is that I have what looks like a 6 inch long slice right across
the two front tires.  I work with plastics, and it looks like a "nit line"
where the two fronts of material meet during the molding process.  I
remember
a conversation about this many moons ago, but not what the conclusion was.
The slice is not very wide or deep, but it bothers me that my new tires
already have problems.>>>

BTDT. It looks very scary but I haven't heard of one coming apart yet.

Also, make sure you use adequate inflation. If you run these tires
underinflated sidewall cracks will appear. Then things can get _really_
nasty...

Paul Foster