Re: Cajun Christmas Greetings

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Cajun Christmas Greetings
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:03:57 -0500

> Note, if you are still expecting any meaningful autocross content here,
> you've been living in a cave for two weeks.  Hit the delete button,
> already.

Heh, ditto. :)

> So, although we French were here before other Europeans, the language and
> culture is rare as rare as hotdish in gator country.

> Phil Ethier

On a related note, how do you pronounce your last name?

All joking aside, although I was born and raised in British California, I
spent 5 years just outside of Montreal, in a little place called St. Jean
sur Richelieu. (There is some sort of Quebecois tradition that the smaller
the place, the longer the name).

Part of the purpose of me living there was to teach me how to speak French
like un vrai Quebecois pur laine, instead of like an Anglophone.

But now that I have a lot of interaction with you Yankee Devils, I keep
bumping into people with French surnames who totally mangle the
pronunciation.

So "Eee-thee-err" instead of "Et-ee-ayy" and "Coot-cher" instead of
"Coo-tour".

It drives me right up the freakin' wall - I've been so conditioned to react
negatively to anglo pronunciation of French words - but then I can't very
well correct someone on how they pronounce their own name! Holy
presumption, Batman!

Oh well. I guess we all have our crosses to bear, eh? :)

DG