Re: Also Re: brake pad recommendation?

To: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>,
Subject: Re: Also Re: brake pad recommendation?
From: "B. Vibert" <blur@ican.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 12:06:52 -0500
> At 06:12 PM 12/9/99 -0500, NASA-VA Jon Felton wrote:
> >If those are the old Axxis/Repco Metal Masters re-badged
> >with a Stillen name,
>
> They aren't.  They did use the Repco as a model though to make their own.
>
>  STAY AWAY... they are crap on the
> >track, even with ducting.  You can literally make the pad
> >material crumble away from the backing plate (eating
> >your rotors in the process).
>
> Actually, many folks use them without that trouble.  It boils down to the
> track, the car and the driver.  I'm gonna defend Axxis/Repco because I use
> them, and have always been most pleased with their performance for street
> and autocross use. I've used and sell many others as well.  But, I agree
> you can have those troubles under severe use. They are not really inteneded
> for track use, and I don't like to sell them for that use now that there
> are pads made more specifically for track use.  But, some folks want them
> anyway because they are cost effective.  They are also an improvement over
> most stock pads.  That's like using 10/30 oil in an axle that requires
> 80/140.  That's what happens when you use the wrong part for an application.

I have to agree with you here Sam. I've been using them for years. They are
cheap, last forever, and work great for autox. They also seem to be pretty
rotor friendly. I use them at the track too and while I can overheat them I
usually don't, at least not since I learned to drive. I find I boil the brake
fluid before I get pad fading. Maybe they transfer too much heat to the
caliper. I've never overheated them in autox.
I haven't seen any crumble, but I don't doubt it could happen on a heavy car on
some tracks.
BTW, I can add another brand name to the collection, PBR Metalmasters. I put a
set on my Audi quattro just last week.

Burl Vibert
Kingston, Ontario
1983 Porsche 911SC
1987 Audi 5000CSTQ
1983 Audi Coupe
1985 Kawasaki ZX900R
Help, I'm stuck in the eighties and I can't get out!