Re: TLAC II

To: James Rogerson <jwalter@ptra.com>
Subject: Re: TLAC II
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 20:11:39 -0500
Thanks for the kind words, James!  And thanks, too, for driving all
the way up from Houston to run with us.  Thanks, as well, to all of
the other entrants from all over Louisiana, Texas, and Arkansas who
helped make the event a success.  Red River Region was glad to have
you and we hope to see you back soon.

This site holds a tremendous amount of potential.  TLAC-2 was only the
second event we've ever run there, so we've still got some logistical
things to work out.  But we're getting there, and track management
likes having us around.  (It also helps that I've known some of the
key people for more than 20 years!!!)  So, we'll be back there on
August 29th, if anybody within driving distance of Shreveport needs a
warmup before Nationals.  And we'll run there again on November 21st.

For those who don't know, Red River Raceway is an IHRA-sanctioned
dragstrip 20 miles north of Shreveport on US Hwy 71 in Gilliam,
Louisiana.  The owners have spared no expense to make it first-class.
It just opened on the 4th of July weekend last year.  But it played
host to the IHRA World Finals in October of last year and has already
been the site for more than 40 IHRA record runs since it opened.

But that's not important to those of us who autox.  What IS important
is the fact that they've got 12-1/2 acres of wonderful asphalt
pavement in their paddock area.  And they're talking about paving
more...all the way down to the end of the runoff!!!  Right now, we've
got 13 light poles to contend with in the existing paddock (430' x
1420') but, if they add more pavement, it won't have any light poles
at all!!!  Keep your fingers crossed.

The only real downside to using this site right now is that they run
every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (and some occasional Sundays)
from March through November.  So it's out of the question for a
two-day Divisional.  However, if they do pave that other lot, we may
be able to use it for a Divisional, too!!!!!!  8<{)

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman