Re: Making Pro more Pro

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Making Pro more Pro
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 09:13:46 -0400
Michael King <mapco@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> It doesn't take a special kind of car, or brakes. You stage the same way
> as what you are doing now, just the lights come down differently.

It's not as simple as that Mike.

On a "Sportsman" tree, you get a series of different events to use to launch
from, and you can pick which event you use depending on how deep you stage and
how fast the car reacts.

You can launch as the last yellow comes on, you can launch as the last yellow
goes out, you can launch as the green comes on (ha! Better be deep-staged and
have an awfully fast reacting car!), you can launch as the second-last yellow
comes on, you can launch as the second-last yellow goes out....

But with a "Pro" tree, you've only got two events - all the yellows lighting,
and all the yellows going out. A "Pro" tree uses a faster interval in addition
to the way the lights light, so the amount of time between the yellows and the
green is shorter. That means you /need/ a much faster reacting car in order to
make a perfect light.

That means, typically, transbrakes.

I don't see what using a "Pro" tree buys the sport.

Now a /reaction timer/ I would agree with a few thousand percent....

DG