(no subject)

To: Autox@autox.team.net
Subject: (no subject)
From: DUELRACER@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 03:06:43 EDT
        After going through and reading all the talk about the Solo II
program getting into the money business, it made me want to say a few things.
 I started out autox in 94' with a 92' Cavalier Z-24.  I was on street tires
then and the Kansas City region didn't have a Street Tire class then.  So, I
was put in the same class as all the other local guys in ESP.  I thought it
was a hoot since the only thing I had done to the car was put in a Hypertech
chip.  Tim Koch is from here and I had to be in the same class as him.  Boy,
is that an eye opening experience.  I got hooked, but still couldn't afford
to go out and buy new rims and tires.  My first big event that year for me
was the Mirrorkhana in Salina.  I went out there and in the ESP class got to
go home after my first two times on course with my tail between my legs.  I
was out matched and out talented by Tim Koch, Rob Pickrell, and Mark Walker
and many others.  I thought to myself, how in the world would someone just
starting out in this ever be able to take home a trophy without spending wads
of money.
        Then Rob Pickrell said something to me that I will never forget.  If
you can't make the car better than it can be, and you want to keep autox,
then maybe you ought to make the car competitive in its originally class.
After taking this in and making it sink in to my brain, I took the chip out
and put the car back in G Stock.  The next year, I took to a new set of rims
and sticky tires and went to several events around the Midwest.  It was also
my first time in the Solotime series.  I entered into all four events and
took the overall 95' G Stock championship.  With a first, second, third, and
sixth from the middiv.
        But, what I am trying to say here is that there are a lot of people
out there that are like me and not able to afford the tires, modifications,
to make the car more competitive in the class that it is in and they can't
just go out and buy one that is.  So, that is why the Street Tire class was
started here in Kansas City,  The Crown Autocross club and the KCR have a
class for the beginner to go to and compete with others that are in the same
boat.  But, we still see the one timers coming and then not going back.  Why?
 Lots of these are the younger generation.  20 to 30.  Just starting out, or
getting out of college.  They watch the open classes and see that they have
to shell out more money just to be able to compete or they walk around and
talk to others that have been around and see what they shell out and think
this isn't for them.
         We at the Crown Club think this sport is for the Grassroots
enthusiast as well as the hard core fanatic.  That is why we have instituted
a new class program this year to try and get the younger guys back and to
keep coming back.  We have a Street Tire Novice program.  If you haven't been
autox for years then you have a chance at getting a trophy, you run with
other guys in the same boat.  We have seen an upward climb in our attendance
this year already from the new program.  And, part of this program is to make
the new guys feel welcome and want to come back and enjoy the sport. With no
matter what kind of car they have.
        I have been to Nationals three times.  I also know that I am not
going to be the one to win either or even possibly place in the trophy
positions.  But, I go there to have fun. To get to compete on a site that is
10 times bigger than anything we can get our hands on at a local event.
(Except for the event this May 16th at Arrowhead) To meet people that are
there for the same thing.  People with the same likes, hobbies, and such.  I
don't go to Nationals thinking that if I buy the right car, spend wads of
money on it and get it set up right I am going to take home a trophy. If I
win the Powerball then Maybe?  But, I am there and here locally for the FUN.
That is what Autocrossing is supposed to be about.  If you ain't having fun
then why do it in the first place?

Paul Poore
Secretary for the Crown Autocross Club.
and Kansas Region Member of the SCCA