Re: Tire History Lesson - Again

To: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire History Lesson - Again
From: rikracer <rikracer@cwix.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 01:21:09 -0700

Subject: Tire History Lesson - Again

>FYI
>
>The absolutely fastest tire for stock class Datsun Z, most Porsches,
>Morgan's, etc. in 1977 (yes 1977) was the Michelin XWX. This was a 70
>series (remember them) that came stock on Porsches and on Ferraris and
>Mercedes. A 195/70 X 14 cost about $150 each at a discount tire chain which
>warranteed them for 5000 miles (for the first set). Did not work worth a
>darn for the first 2/3rds of the tread.
>
>Let me tell you, $150 per tire was one heck of a lot of money in 1977!!!!
>
>Dick Rasmussen
>CM 85
>85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford

The hot tire way back when in our area was the re-cap!  Originally only bias
ply then some radials. Capped with some soft compound, they worked quite
well and best of all only cost around $120 for a SET of 4!!!!  Of course it
took a bit of searching in the racks for 4 the same height (or at least 2
and 2) and they often had to be trued. Still a great deal and great grip.

Rick Brown
AP 240Z