Re: one of my favorite topics

To: RacerRay52@aol.com
Subject: Re: one of my favorite topics
From: John Whitling <alliancemillsoft@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:25:44 -0400
Politically Ray, durometer readings and such will never be accepted. Technically
it's possible and the ASA racing series has used durometers to measure/test
tires
for a long long time. In the past I have made proposals based on what you
propose.

The Solo group needs something simpler than that though. A "Z" rated tire has to
be built to withstand the heat of long periods of high speed (over 149 mph for 1
hour, I believe). In doing so, tire construction and compounding is affected.
Those that say that a Z rating only affects the carcass are not correct. The
tread compound has a lot to do with how much heat is developed and how much heat
it can take. As every racer probably knows, softer compounds cannot withstand
much heat.

Therefore, if we were embrace a minimum speed rating for specialty type R tires,
say a Z rating, tire companies could continue to produce specialty performance
tires that we could use. IMO, specialty tires are the cheapest way to autox
competitively. But that's another subject.

The SCCA should have an interest in creating a single tire rule across club
racing and autox. The tire companies would like this because they could compete
in both arenas with only one set of rules. Autocross would get more tire
participation (something that a dominant tire company might not want) and club
racers could sell their takeoffs to autoxers  ... and tire companies would have
just one set of rules and a development arena that would relate to street tire
development. Whether the divergent SCCA divisions can do anything in one voice
is
open to debate. It would be interesting to see them try to.

What we're seeing with the early reports of the G Force aren't any different
than
what we saw in '89 when BFG produced it's solo only edition of the R1. In two
years after, we lost Yoko and their Nationals sponsorship, and all other tire
companies in stock class solo. Can that happen again? Why not?

John Whitling