Re: SP shakeup

To: Eric Linnhoff <eric10mm@qni.com>
Subject: Re: SP shakeup
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 15:33:17 -0500
Eric Linnhoff wrote:

> Howdy all.
>
> Since I have yet to receive my Sports Car mag, what's the big shakeup in
> SP?  Is it more rules changes (anti-de-embolizer type rules) or car
> class changes?

Car class changes.  Roughly speaking, they're breaking up CSP into two classes
and making BSP into a class for fast but large sportscars (rather than just a
Corvette class).  The small, fast CSP'ers remain in CSP -- the slower ones in
CSP go in a new DSP -- the current DSP becomes ESP and the current ESP
becomes FSP.  A few of the faster but larger CSP cars (E36 M3, Porsche 928/968,
non-turbo 280ZX/300ZX) are being moved to BSP as are some of the slower and
larger ASP cars (Shelby Cobra 289, Mitsu 3000GT turbo, and turbo 280ZX/300ZX).
Also the Supra Turbo (was ESP?) was put in BSP.

There were also various other jugglings of uncompetitive cars that all seemed
reasonable.

Even though my car, E36 M3, is being moved to a slightly faster class, I think
the changes are very good.  I really have very little in common with most of
my current competitors (tiny CRX's, RX-3's, and RX-7's) -- and I often feel a
bit cheated when I am beaten by them as they attack courses completely different
than I can.  Even though BSP is faster than CSP, I'll enjoy being beaten by
Corvettes, 300ZX's, Porsche 968's, and such larger sportscars much better.

One question:  Why doesn't the 99 Porsche 911 show up?  Surely over 1000 have
been sold.  And then where's the Porsche Boxster?  Or is nobody willing to
Street Prepare those cars??  ;^)

Brian