Re: camcorder/computer interface?

To: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>, "autox list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: camcorder/computer interface?
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 15:01:29 -0400
>I've recently come into a nice used 8mm camcorder and would like to set
>it up in my Neon to get some in-car autocross footage.  Hey, it might
>even help me to learn something.  Any ideas on an inexpensive, sturdy
>method of attachment inside the car?

Got a few, since I've been thinking about doing the same thing as soon as I
can find a nice used 8mm camcorder. :)  There are a few commercially
available mounts.  One suction cups onto your windshield like a radar
detector.  I doubt this would be legal or smart to use in an autox.  Another
is a mount that attaches to the headrests of the two front seats.  The
camera bolts onto the top of it.  This is secure, and I've heard a version
of this is legal for club racing.  One idea that was suggested to me would
be to find a fairly worn out extra headrest (pretty easy with an older car
like mine), remove all the padding, and create a mount out of it.  Then when
you run just remove your normal passenger seat headrest and pop this in.

>Also, how do I get the pictures from the camcorder into my computer?
>Special video cards or software?

Do you want just snapshots, b/w video, or full video/audio sampling?  When I
had my old camcorder (stolen a couple of years ago) I picked up a Snappy.
It plugs into your printer port and includes software to make snapshots of
any video input.  I used my camcorder and the Snappy to take pics of
anything I wanted, at least till it was stolen.  I still have the Snappy,
and plan to use it once I eventually replace the camcorder.

Hope this has been somewhat useful.  I'm not ALWAYS a smart ass. :)

    - Justin

P.S.: Though I harassed you about the Neon, I'm seriously pondering an R/T
myself... :)