Re: Questions/Observations following my first National Tour event....

To: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Subject: Re: Questions/Observations following my first National Tour event....
From: Josh Sirota <jss@marimba.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:18:26 -0700
Brian M Kennedy wrote:
> 2) I noticed some people spraying liquid on their tires between runs.
>    What is that?  What rules are there regarding that?
>    For example, can I spray my tires with sticky stuff?
>    How about with 180'F water?  How about with 180'F sticky stuff?
>    Is that kind of thing in the rulebook?

That's just water.  Sometimes these tires can overheat on a hot day with
multiple drivers, so a little water right after a run brings them down
to a reasonable temperature for the next run.

> 4) How about that optional slalom on Saturday?  Which way was better?
>    Most people started on the left, only a few on the right -- but
>    several of those few won their classes.  Starting on the right
>    made the slalom one cone longer and made the left after the
>    slalom much tighter.  However, it was the shorter path and one
>    less braking zone.  Starting on the left allowed you to carry
>    your speed longer before braking to start the slalom, and allowed
>    you a better line for the following left -- but you still had to
>    brake to set up for the left.  Anyone care to analyze their choice
>    now with hindsight?

In hindsight, I shoulda gone on the right on Saturday.  After Friday
night's walks, I was fully planning to go right.  But then while I was
trying to fall asleep and replaying the course in my mind, I couldn't
make going right seem even remotely smooth, it just felt awful.  So,
come Saturday morning, left was the plan.  But in retrospect, I think
right would have been faster (that conclusion is drawn mostly from how
fast those who went right managed to go).

But it's rare to have a truly optional slalom like that.  I'll bet it
worked out to about 50% drivers went left, 50% went right ...

> 5) How about that optional slalom on Sunday?  (The same optional
>    slalom, but now in reverse.)  In this case, most people switched
>    the side of the slalom they attacked.  Is that because they
>    changed their mind based on Saturday?  Or because the differences
>    of the right entry before the slalom or the short straight into
>    the finish at the end of the slalom??  Anyone care to analyze
>    their choice now with hindsight?

It wasn't quite the same -- one cone was removed!  If you went right, it
was just a brake stab before the right hander, then flat out to the
finish.  Left was longer and would have required more finesse to
maintain max speed.

> 8) What things were different about the Texas NT vs. most others?
>    Any peculiarities?

Except for not getting done Saturday until after 7pm (I suppose the
problem was simply that there was too much time between cars), I thought
it was a very typical National Tour.  Great fun, great competitors,
great party!  I think I must may go back to Texas for another one :-)

Even though I coned myself out of a trophy ...

Josh