Re: 99 cougar classification

To: "autox" <autox@autox.team.net>, <joshlocklear@juno.com>
Subject: Re: 99 cougar classification
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:21:32 -0400
>Has anyone heard the classification for the new '99 Mercury Cougar?  I
>have a copy of the '99 rule book, but it doesn't seem to be included.  I
>know there are both 4 and 6 cylinder versions.  I was really wondering
>about the 4 cylinder specifically, because I competed against one in HS
>yesterday, and it's times seemed to "break out" from the other cars in
>the class.  It would seem to me that this car might be classed in DS or
>ES with other similar 4-cylinder "sporty" cars.  Any help would be
>appreciated.

I also don't see the 4-cyl listed, but the 6 is included in HS.  If the 4
was above and beyond the other HS entries, I can only imagine how much of a
disadvantage we in HS would have against a new V6 Cougar!  One thing to keep
in mind is the Cougar classifications are probably for the older style
Cougar, the one based on the T-bird.  The 4-cyl Contour is also classed in
HS, though the Cougar is more sporty as you observed.  V6 Contours are in
GS, as are SVT versions.  It seems that some further clarification and
classification may be needed for the new Cougars.

So it performed well?  Interesting...  A new Cougar is on my list of
potential replacements for my Tracer...

    - Justin