Re: MR2 T-Tops Question

To: "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>,
Subject: Re: MR2 T-Tops Question
From: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 23:07:52 -0500
>You can't really put a number the significant until you know how many turns
the
>course has. The tops will introduce flex into the plus added weight. If she
is a
>talented driver already, then look for a solid roofed car. If she is
testing the
>"waters", then the T-topped car is fine (and a lot of fun when the temps
are in
>the mid-seventies). To answervia the choices, maybe a "C" or "D".

Having taken sawzall to both Sunroof and T top MR2s, I can tell you that if
you take out the tops, the T top car will be lighter (for identical cars
save T top).
The roof rails in these cars is incredibly thick, with the beams on each
side of the
roof probably coming in at about 5 lbs each for just section over the door
windows.
You do get added flex, but it isn't that significant.  Mike Eckert and Brian
Priebe
campaigned a T top car last year and Brian bested Kevin Bailey in it....no
small
feat in a car that you're calling about a second slower.

If I were to choose from the multiple guess, I'd go A or B.

David Hawkins
93 MR2 Turbo T top
85 MR2 Hard top
2 91 MR2 Sunroof parts cars