Re: nationals site

To: Alek Tziortzis <alextz@comm.mot.com>
Subject: Re: nationals site
From: Rocky Entriken <RENTRIKEN/0003006623@MCIMAIL.COM>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 13:09:02 -0500 (EST)
> I thought I read it somewhere (fastrack supplementals?) back when they
> signed the contract in 1996 to hold Nationals at Topeka through year 2000.

Just a guess, but probably the event supplementals ... not to specify what
kind of surface must be used, but to inform what surface was there.

We have, in fact, not has an asphalt Nationals since #10 in Chicago 1983. That
is a matter more that available sites since then -- only three: Salina E.
Crawford, Salina Airport, Forbes Field -- happened to be airports, which happen
to be spacious enough to embrace our circus.

Gee. if by some dream scenario the Kansas Superspeedway should become the
Nationals home for the new millennium (which begins in 2001, BTW, not 2000),
us guys who run on concrete all year long would have to learn to run on
asphalt -- instead of the other way around as it is for so many now.

I like Forbes. I liked Salina. I'd like running at Kansas Superspeedway too.

--Rocky

BTW, for whomever it was quoting exorbitant rentals at California Speedway
and las Vegas -- the former is a Penske track and the latter now owned by
Bruton Smith. Kansas Superspeedway is an International Speedways property
(the France family). which may be apropos of nothing, but it is at least
not the same people quoting those high prices in Fontana and Vegas. And yes,
2001 does seem the likely opening date.